I don’t normally post recipes but since I probably make this salad once a week and still can’t get enough of it, I thought I would share it with you. For those of you who haven’t had quinoa, you are missing out! It is probably my most favorite grain. The basic recipe is this:
2 cups quinoa
2 cups water
1 large cucumber or a couple little ones, chopped
1 red bell pepper (or any color), chopped
a couple handfuls of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
a couple big handfuls of spinach, chopped or torn up into smaller pieces
Cilantro to garnish
So here’s the thing. When I cook I don’t really measure anything so bare with me for the dressing…
a drizzle of olive oil, a couple tablespoons of red wine vinegar, a few squirts of lime and lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic to taste…
Directions:
Cook the quinoa. I usually add my quinoa to the water, bring it to a boil and then turn it down to simmer and cover for 15 minutes. After the quinoa is cooked, put it in the fridge to cool.
While the quinoa is cooling, chop up all your veggies and put in large bowl, add your quinoa and mix in your dressing. Put back in fridge to let it sit for another half hour or so. Top it with cilantro before serving.
I have made this dish so many ways but this is the basic version. In addition to the above mentioned veggies I have also added broccoli, onion, artichokes, and raw corn off the cob. Basically whatever veggies I have on hand. I have used this as a side dish or as a main meal as well. When used as a main meal I have topped it with grilled chicken or shrimp, or have added garbanzo beans, and either feta cheese or goat cheese.
Give it a try!
1 comment:
Is this that stuff you made when we came over for hamburgers? If so I'm really glad you posted the recipe, I loved that stuff! Oh and miss you guys!
Post a Comment